Do you really need a teacher desk?

Teacher "desks" take up a substantial amount of your space in the classroom.  Is it worth the amount of real-estate it's using?  These are questions that one needs to really think about before setting up your classroom.  It also sets the mood for your classroom.  Some questions from Clutter Free Classroom that you should think about prior to the set up of your room:


What do I use my desk for?
If it's storage, think about other places that you could store those same materials (or better yet, declutter the space and get rid of some of them). If you use your desk for planning, grading, etc. then consider alternative spaces that would work better. Maybe the small group table could serve a dual purpose.

Am I the only one benefiting from the space?
Teacher desks frequently monopolize a large fraction of the classroom, yet only one person is getting use out of it. What culture does that set for the classroom.  I once heard a teacher say, "Is that how you enter my classroom" and all I could think was "Isn't it OUR classroom, not just yours."

How does this piece of furniture effect my teaching?
Most teachers report that they don't spend much time at their desk. When children are present, teachers should be working with them and not sitting alone at a desk. When they are out of the room there are tables available to work at. Just some food for thought.

How does your desk area usually look and how does that make you feel?
The desk is a direct reflection of you. If it is cluttered and messy then that sends a message to the kids.

Is getting rid of the desk an option? If not, how could it be repurposed?
I currently have a teacher desk in my classroom. I doubt it could be removed because I don't think there would be anywhere to store it. However, I am planning to repurpose it as an area that kids can work at. It's higher than the tables so it'll be a good option for those friends that like to stand and work.  Most teacher desks are magnetic.  How can this space be used?  Word walls, etc.