Easy Flipbook to Help Your Child Sound Out Words

As I was spending time on pinterest, my newest hobby, I came across this really neat idea.  It grabbed my attention because:

1. I'm going to be the Title I Reading/Math teacher next year.
2. I have a granddaughter who is learning her letters and sounds (she's three).
3. This is quick, easy, and cheap and I can make it quickly.

So I ran to Walmart and picked up these Wirebound index card book for $1.24 each.  I cut the book (made up of 50 index) cards into three sections and wrote the letters of the alphabet (a-z) on the first third of each card.  I also added some blends like sh, bl, tr, etc...  On the second section I wrote the vowels, and on the third section the letters of the alphabet (a-z) and some ending blends (ch, sh, th, etc).

The purpose of this activity is to help your child phonetically decode words.  Remember that some of the words are nonsense words, but the point is to practice decoding.  What a wonderful tool to take with you in the car or while you are sitting at ballgames.

If you are interested in more information, the original post can be found HERE!


learn to read phonics flip chart book